I've decided to tell the world about the poet May Swenson through my blog. I had actually never heard of her before this class but found one of her poems through our last assignment. I enjoyed it because it was different, and after reading some of her other works as well, I see that she even has a creepy side. I like reading things with a twist or that are a little disturbing because that's not something you see everyday.
May Swenson was born in Utah in 1913 and enjoyed writing even as a young girl. Surprisingly, English was her second language as her parents were Swedish immigrants. She graduated from Utah State University in 1934 and worked numerous jobs while writing and publishing poetry. She has written many collections of poems and has received numerous awards including a Distinguished Service Gold Medal from Utah State University. She also served as a Chancellor of the Academy of American Poets. She died in 1989, but four months before her death, Swenson said, "The best poetry has its roots in the subconscious to a great degree. Youth, naivety, reliance on instinct more than learning and method, a sense of freedom and play, even trust in randomness, is necessary to the making of a poem."
More information about the history of May Swenson can be found here:
http://www.poets.org/poet.php/prmPID/168
http://www.poetryfoundation.org/archive/poet.html?id=6702
The original poem I read was called Bleeding and can be found here: http://www.poetryfoundation.org/archive/poem.html?id=179699
Here is another creepy, yet great poem. This is actually an audio clip of May Swenson reading it:
http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/15945
Other interesting poems by May Swenson:
Motherhood
Women
Question
I think everyone should experience May Swenson's work because it is different. It feels almost depressing, but also enlightening. Her works have a realistic side to them and present true feelings, even if controversial. I appreciate her way of writing and what her topics are and I think others will too.
Tuesday, October 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment